PINEAPPLE Upside-down cake (Eggless)

Posted by sharada | Sunday, February 22, 2009 | | 8 comments »

As elders say everything has to start on a sweet note.So here is my first post with a sweet note...i mean a sweet recipe Pineapple upside-down cake.I am a bit of a health freak so my first recipe is definitely a dessert but a healthy one.

This one i tried from http://www.marthastewart.com/ - a light pineapple upside down cake but with made a little bit of changes by making it eggless and reduced the quantity of plain flour.The cake came out perfectly.It was a healthy treat and a sure keeper.

Ingredients:
--------------
Vegetable Oil --1/3 cup
Brown sugar(packed) --1 cup
Pineapple --1 small
Plain flour(maida)(leveled) --3/4 cup
Wheat flour(atta)(leveled) --3/4 cup
Baking powder --1 & 1/2 tsp
Baking soda --1/2 tsp
Salt --1/2 tsp
Buttermilk --3/4 cup
Flaxseed powder --2 tbsp
Vanilla extract --1 tsp
Water --6 tbsp

Method:
----------
1) Preheat the oven @ 180*C .
2) Grease a round 8"inch baking dish with oil and line with a strip of parchament paper.Brush the paper with oil.
3) Sprinkle bottom of the baking dish with sugar (1/4 cup) & arrange the pineapple pieces in a single layer on top of the sugar layer.
4) Mix 2tbsp of ground flaxseed with 6 tbsp of hot water and keep it aside for 10-15 mins.
5) Mix together in a large bowl plain flour,wheat flour,baking powder,baking soda & salt.
6) Mix buttermilk,flaxseed mix ,vanilla extract,oil and remaining 3/4 cup sugar.Add to this the above flour mixture one tbsp at a time and combine everything well in clock-wise direction only.
7) Pour in the batter over the pineapples in the baking dish and tap gently and smoothen the top.
8) Bake the cake @ 180 degree C for 50 mins .Allow it to cool for 20 mins and your cake is ready.
9) Serve it hot or cold.Enjoy!!

Notes:
--------

  • if you want to use eggs replace the flaxseed mix with 2 eggs.
  • used curds instead of buttermilk i.e., i mixed around 1/2 cup curds with water to get 3/4 cup buttermilk.
  • Used sunflower oil.
  • Can use 1 cup plain flour and 1/2 cup wheat flour as per the original recipe.
  • Used double acting baking powder.

8 comments

  1. luckysanjana // March 09, 2009  

    hi again Sharda. I love cakes ......and ever since I can remember have nursed this ambition to be a great baker......You know the day someone comes up to me and says Sanjana will you bake a cake for my budday that would be the day of bliss for me........and so it is that to this end that I keep trying to bake a cake.........im a decent cook but somehow baking alludes me..............and it depresses me no end........the perfect cake when will it happen to me I wonder......enuf of me..........since my kitchen is Jain eggs are not exactly prima donna if you know what I mean.........Ive tried the milkmaid cake , the cococola cake , the curd cake........but the perfect cake soft like you get in the shops alludes me........you use of flaxseed really interests me..........did you know flaxseed is the only other source of omega three fatty acids for vegans other than walnuts?????
    so bravo for making a nutritious cake......Ill give it a shot sometime I promise......but if it doesn turn okie be prepared for the brickbats......just kiddin.........see ya around.

  2. Unknown // March 10, 2009  

    First time here....nice cake! Havent tried my hands yet in baking and stuff...

  3. Anonymous // March 24, 2009  

    That's a great recipe you chose to adapt. Very impressive that you were able to make it eggless, it looks moist and delicious.

  4. sharada // March 24, 2009  

    Thank you Sanjana:) for visiting my blog..

  5. sharada // March 24, 2009  

    Thankyou Sharmilee:)..do try baking it's easy

  6. sharada // March 24, 2009  

    Thank you Sophie:) for visiting my blog & for that lovely comment.

  7. Saritha // April 03, 2009  

    lovely cake.Welcome to the world of blogging and nice recipe to start the blog.All the best.......

  8. Uma // June 10, 2010  

    All your baking recipes are unique! and to top it eggless cakes .. baking sev is a great idea :)

Post a Comment